I’m selecting a few writing prompts from this list to get my blog juices going. (That…sounded gross. Whatever – pour me some blog juice!)
First up, my morning routine. I am not a morning person, yet I’m the local producer for Morning Edition. My life is very ironic.
One would think that since I have to be at work at 6 a.m., I would do a lot of pre-planning, such as packing my lunch early, planning out my outfit the night before, and having my gym bag packed. I try. I really do. To be honest though, I always change my mind about my outfit and what I want for lunch by the morning. Here’s how a typical morning goes:
- 3:50 a.m.: First alarm goes off. It’s one of those battery-powered clocks that can wake the dead. I usually go back to bed
- 4:00 a.m.: Second alarm goes off from my iPhone. I stay in bed to read emails and catch up on stories I missed while I was sleeping.
- 4:20 a.m.: I drag myself to the kitchen to eat breakfast, which is usually proats – protein powder and oats in almond milk. It looks like liquefied turd, but I love it because it’s so filling.
- 4:50 a.m.: After eating and more reading, I go back to bed. I usually hug JR from behind and silently weep that I can’t sleep more.
- 5:00 a.m.: I get my butt into gear and shower.
- 5:15-5:30 a.m.: When I get out of the shower varies. After cutting my hair into a bob, shampooing is a breeze, but sometimes I just stand there and let the water run.
- 5:30 a.m.: By this point, I’m questioning my choices and swear I’m going to shower earlier. (It never happens.) I’m applying makeup at this point, and if JR is awake-ish, we’re usually holding a half-awake conversation. Our schedules vary, so sometimes we’re both up and getting ready for work. If he goes in later, I usually just move around quietly.
- 5:50 a.m.: If JR is awake, he gives me a time check. I quickly blowdry my bangs and run out the door with wet hair. If my dad knew, he’d lecture me on how I’m putting myself at risk of getting sick. (Not true, dad! That’s a Mexican old wives tale! Ay.)
I still wear makeup despite the ungodly hour. I look very young for my age, so makeup elevates me from college freshman to college senior. Like most women, I’ve established a routine after 15 years of experimentation, so I can apply it pretty quickly. If I ever did a “get ready with me” video the beauty YouTubers seem to love, it would probably be stressful and boring.
With the exception of my bangs, I don’t heat style. I stopped doing so once I got this gig, with the exception of special events. I find that as I get older, I’ve stopped caring and I’ve honestly become more lazy in that regard. Apparently, it’s ‘trendy’ to wet style now. Does that qualify me as a trendsetter?
I always eat breakfast. I will risk being late to have a balanced breakfast. I don’t drink coffee until I get to work because I don’t drink coffee at home. We don’t even own a coffee maker. It’s mostly for mental alertness, and why would I need to be mentally alert at home?
I typically go to bed at about 9:30 p.m. The fear of oversleeping and missing my shift keeps me operating on 6 1/2 hours of sleep. I try to make up for it on the weekends by sleeping 12 hours. I know it’s not healthy to have an inconsistent sleep schedule, but sleeping is one of my favorite things to do.