I am a journalist, audio junkie, audience engagement practitioner, and a systems builder.
I love: using product thinking to solve newsroom problems, data-driven decision-making, generating buy-in, connecting the dots across teams, fixing and building systems, optimizing workflows, mentorship, and pushing the status quo.
My career spans from public media to audience engagement and strategy. I’m passionate about equity and inclusion in media.
- Current: Public-power your elections coverage
- Current: Audience engagement for successful fund drives
- Nieman Lab 2019 Predictions: Pivot to People (credited under Hearken byline)
Case studies written:
- Nashville Public Radio: How they filled information gaps in a municipal election
- Marfa Public Radio: How they hit the road to reach a wide range
- Worked with 28 newsrooms on the following: editorial strategy, project launches, in-person and online outreach strategy, event strategy, revenue strategy, reporter activation, internal buy-in, goal-setting, and measuring KPIs. Here are some highlights:
- Helped Marfa Public Radio launch its engaged journalism series, West Texas Wonders, with a road trip across their coverage area to meet audience members and gather their questions about West Texas. That strategy earned them one of 7 regional Edward R. Murrow awards for Excellence in Innovation.
- Strategized and helped TV station KSAT launch their SAQ Answered series, which tackles viewer questions about the greater San Antonio area. They infuse audience engagement tactics to deepen their breaking news coverage, such as the ongoing issues at the county sheriff’s office and brought in a doctor to answer viewer questions about the year’s first measles case. Also guided them in their municipal elections strategy and execution.
- Trained The Day’s newsroom on engaged journalism strategies. Reporters now include their audience members in uncovering answers to tough questions, such as blight enforcement. This reporter says it’s changed how she does her job.
- Worked with Boise State Public Radio to rebrand Wanna Know Idaho as a podcast, develop marketing and event strategy, and revenue opportunities through fundraising swag and sponsorship.
Systems built or improved:
- Built front-facing and internal systems to better serve partner organizations and gather internal data to improve offerings.
- Revamped the help site for easier partner access.
- Improved internal company documentation to save time.
- Improved internal team operations to make job tasks more efficient.
- Co-led optimizing their CRM to cut down on internal inefficiencies.
- Does The Workplace Need A Culture Shift?
- Author Merritt Tierce On The Struggle To Write And Make Money After Critical Success
- From Carpet Warehouse To Daytime Emmy Winner: Inside The Story Of SuperLatina
- ‘Our Causes Choose Us’: Inside A Dallas Church’s Debate On LGBT Inclusiveness
- Have Evangelical Voting Patterns Changed?
- ‘I Had No Idea I’d Be In Charge,’ Says Dallas County Judge On Ebola Response
- Inside A Sickening Moment In Dallas History: A Public Hanging Of A Black Man
- The Selena Google Doodle Was A Two-Year Labor Of Love For This North Texas Native
- Coming In 2020, Uber Wants Flying Vehicles To Be Affordable, Everyday Transportation
- Dallas Millennials Confront Race In ‘The Whiteness Project’
- For Women And Non-White Entrepreneurs, The Idea Comes Easy – The Money Does Not
- Dallas City Council Kills The Trinity Parkway Once And For All
- How Education Fared In The 85th Texas Legislature
- Irving Police Report Two Dead, Including Gunman, At North Lake College
- What Is The Special Session, And Who Pays For It?
- Plano Again Tops North Texas Cities In Parkscore Index, But Others Slip
- Huffines Files Legislation To Abolish Dallas County Schools Transportation Services
- Porn Expo Not Welcome At Convention Center, Dallas City Council Declares
- 20 Years Later, Selena’s Story Still Resonates
STORYCORPS (via KERA)
- France Pushes Common English Term Out Of French Lexicon
- Sea Lion Keeps The Beat In Pursuit of Science
- Sunday Night Forecast: Cloudy With A Chance Of Meteors
- When Tonys Tap Faves, Look For These Names
- PRNDI 2016, Documentary (Surviving Ebola): Shared award for production and online work on a documentary covering the lasting effects of the Ebola scare in Dallas.
- Texas AP Broadcaster Award 2016, Documentary (Surviving Ebola): Shared award for production and online work on a documentary covering the lasting effects of the Ebola scare in Dallas.
- ONA 2018 Student Newsroom: Mentor
- Knight Center for Journalism In The Americas: Certificate, Product Thinking for Newsroom Leaders
- Hubspot: Sales Software Certification
- Online News Association
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists