Where I've Been
I’ve spent my professional career in journalism as an award-winning radio producer. My work’s been heard on KERA, NPR, Marketplace and the Texas Standard. I’ve done other production work that’s been heard on podcasts such as Brains On!, Death, Sex & Money and Morgan Stanley’s Ideas Podcast. I’ve also written for Current and Nieman Lab.
Where I Am Now
I currently work in content marketing at Zapier, a SaaS automation platform that helps users automate tedious tasks through connecting web apps. I get to write about how to use automation and our product to solve work and productivity problems.
What I've Done
My background is in radio journalism and SaaS startups. My career has spanned across editorial, marketing product, customer success, and operations. Throughout my career, I’ve improved or built upon product, processes, and content. I’m happiest creating, working through projects, and finding efficiencies.
I’m also a passionate advocate about equity and inclusion in the workplace and creating a healthy work culture.
- Dope Labs Podcast: Haunt Me (Spotify)
- How To! With Charles Duhigg: How To Stop Being Anxious (Slate)
- Ideas Podcast by Morgan Stanley: Effective Philanthropy (Pineapple Street Media)
- Women Rule: What Allie Stuckey hates about the conservative world (POLITICO)
- Only A Game: How Nancy Lieberman Returned To The WNBA Court At Age 50 (WBUR)
- Weekend Edition Sunday: GOP Midterm Strategy And Kavanaugh (NPR)
- Kerning Cultures: The Perfect Renaissance Man
- Death, Sex & Money: After suicides, a Texas veterinary clinic opens up (WNYC)
- We Came To Win (Gimlet Media)
- The Economist
- Brains On!: The how’s and why’s of hair (Minnesota Public Radio)
- Current: Public-power your elections coverage
- Current: Audience engagement for successful fund drives
- Nieman Lab 2019 Predictions: Pivot to People (credited under Hearken byline)
Case studies written:
- Nashville Public Radio: How they filled information gaps in a municipal election
- Marfa Public Radio: How they hit the road to reach a wide range
- Worked with 28 newsrooms on the following: editorial strategy, project launches, in-person and online outreach strategy, event strategy, revenue strategy, reporter activation, internal buy-in, goal-setting, and measuring KPIs. Here are some highlights:
- Helped Marfa Public Radio launch its engaged journalism series, West Texas Wonders, with a road trip across their coverage area to meet audience members and gather their questions about West Texas. That strategy earned them one of 7 regional Edward R. Murrow awards for Excellence in Innovation.
- Strategized and helped TV station KSAT launch their SAQ Answered series, which tackles viewer questions about the greater San Antonio area. They infuse audience engagement tactics to deepen their breaking news coverage, such as the ongoing issues at the county sheriff’s office and brought in a doctor to answer viewer questions about the year’s first measles case. Also guided them in their municipal elections strategy and execution.
- Trained The Day’s newsroom on engaged journalism strategies. Reporters now include their audience members in uncovering answers to tough questions, such as blight enforcement. This reporter says it’s changed how she does her job.
- Worked with Boise State Public Radio to rebrand Wanna Know Idaho as a podcast, develop marketing and event strategy, and revenue opportunities through fundraising swag and sponsorship.
Systems built or improved:
- Built front-facing and internal systems to better serve partner organizations and gather internal data to improve offerings.
- Revamped the help site for easier partner access.
- Improved internal company documentation to save time.
- Improved internal team operations to make job tasks more efficient.
- Co-led optimizing their CRM to cut down on internal inefficiencies.
- Does The Workplace Need A Culture Shift?
- Author Merritt Tierce On The Struggle To Write And Make Money After Critical Success
- From Carpet Warehouse To Daytime Emmy Winner: Inside The Story Of SuperLatina
- ‘Our Causes Choose Us’: Inside A Dallas Church’s Debate On LGBT Inclusiveness
- Have Evangelical Voting Patterns Changed?
- ‘I Had No Idea I’d Be In Charge,’ Says Dallas County Judge On Ebola Response
- Inside A Sickening Moment In Dallas History: A Public Hanging Of A Black Man
- The Selena Google Doodle Was A Two-Year Labor Of Love For This North Texas Native
- Coming In 2020, Uber Wants Flying Vehicles To Be Affordable, Everyday Transportation
- Dallas Millennials Confront Race In ‘The Whiteness Project’
- For Women And Non-White Entrepreneurs, The Idea Comes Easy – The Money Does Not
- Dallas City Council Kills The Trinity Parkway Once And For All
- How Education Fared In The 85th Texas Legislature
- Irving Police Report Two Dead, Including Gunman, At North Lake College
- What Is The Special Session, And Who Pays For It?
- Plano Again Tops North Texas Cities In Parkscore Index, But Others Slip
- Huffines Files Legislation To Abolish Dallas County Schools Transportation Services
- Porn Expo Not Welcome At Convention Center, Dallas City Council Declares
- 20 Years Later, Selena’s Story Still Resonates
STORYCORPS (via KERA)
- France Pushes Common English Term Out Of French Lexicon
- Sea Lion Keeps The Beat In Pursuit of Science
- Sunday Night Forecast: Cloudy With A Chance Of Meteors
- When Tonys Tap Faves, Look For These Names
- PRNDI 2016, Documentary (Surviving Ebola): Shared award for production and online work on a documentary covering the lasting effects of the Ebola scare in Dallas.
- Texas AP Broadcaster Award 2016, Documentary (Surviving Ebola): Shared award for production and online work on a documentary covering the lasting effects of the Ebola scare in Dallas.